Jan 14, 2011

I'll probably never get around to this, but...

... I need to read this book!

I read the review today by Unclutterer (great site!) and this particular part spoke out to me:

[The author] identifies motivation as the opposite of procrastination,
and that a lack of motivation is a result of troubles with expectancy
 (such as you expect to fail at the task, so you don’t do it),
value (such as you don’t value the work you’re supposed to do,
 so you don’t do it), or impulsiveness.

I'd heard a similar concept before, though I don't remember where I read 
(heard? saw?) it,  but it was something along the lines of 
"Trying is the first step to sucking."

Okay, so not the most eloquent line ever to be spoken, but that's how I've been feeling lately.
If I don't do it, I can't suck at it.
Makes perfect sense, right? Pessimistic and hugely irrational yes, but it's pretty sound logic really. Besides heights, reptiles, and Chucky (the doll), it's what I fear*. That I won't be good at it.
Whatever it is.

Except here's the thing: I will fail.
Repeatedly.

Waiting around sitting on my hands might be the worst thing I can (not) do. No one ever looked at the bored-silly paper-pusher 40 years into her job and thought,
"Good for her! Sticking to a miserable job that she knows she's good at."

But the crazy lady who decides to sell all her possessions to pay for
culinary school only to work as a low-wage line cook?? Oh yes! She's genius
Good for HER!
She's going after what she wants!
(She's labeled the crazy lady, but no one cares about that. Especially the crazy lady.)

So, here's to the first step to sucking! Or not sucking. Either way, I'm a-steppin'.

-Carla


*Oh, we can add to the "fear" list:
  • seeds (of lemons, oranges, watermelons, etc)
  • that icky hard stuff on the ketchup lid
  • the unnatural strength of goldfish






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...